Thursday 30 May 2013

The Shopping

Since finding out that my wife was pregnant it seems that we have spent every weekend shopping.  Buggies, baby monitors, nursery furniture, clothes...the list is endless.  Please don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed this a little more than I probably should have.  I am the one who wants to go to the shops every five minutes because I have seen something we 'need'.  But I've also worried throughout the whole process.

I'm worried because we have just moved into a new house, which seems to be a bottomless pit into which we are throwing money.  How can we afford the 'best' for our daughter when we are already stretched?

I'm worried because I want to make sure I get the safest products on the market.  It is surely a dad's job to ensure that his children are kept as safe as possible.  This starts with the buggy, the car seat, the cot and mattress.  And, I'm sure it will never finish!

I'm worried because everyone has an opinion and I'm not sure whose to listen to.  We are very lucky to have a very supportive and close family and equally special friends.  But, they all have strong opinions and share them with such conviction, it is difficult to know what to do when they clash and contradict.

The nursery furniture was easy!  We are relative newlyweds and we were exceptionally lucky to have been given vouchers by our very generous guests.  So, instead of buying the state of the art entertainment center I had my eye on, we headed to John Lewis with a bulging envelope of vouchers, and ordered the following nursery set.

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-toronto-furniture-range/p351788

The real challenge was the buggy.  Who knew that selecting one would be such a minefield?  There are prams, buggies and travel systems.  There are 3-wheeled and 4-wheeled options.  There are any number of different manufacturers and ranges.  Then there is the fashion aspect. Now, anyone who knows me knows I am not, nor have I ever been, fashionable or cool, but I would like my daughter to at least have a chance to be!  I have become aware that buggies are quite the fashion statement.  There are brands which are very sought after.  During a weekend away in south west London, a couple who did not look like they had children (or even any on the way) approached a friend to covet her iCandy buggy.  This is how popular some products have clearly become.  People who may not even be parents or parents-to-be want one!  The problem is, they come with a very hefty price tag.

After many sleepless nights and hours spent trawling the internet, we made our decision.  Then we changed it.  Then we changed it again several more times.  When you look at reviews on the internet, most of the people who review their products, in this case their buggies, prams or travel systems, haven't actually used them properly.  They are expectant parents with time on their hands before the birth of their children.  Much like myself!  Therefore, their reviews consist mostly of how the product looks and how easy it is to use without the added complications of a baby.  They are helpful but do not give you an idea of how well the product you are about to spend several hundreds of pounds on will last.

We finally chose the Graco Evo in a rather striking lime.  We are delighted by our choice, although we haven't yet put it through it's paces.  It is lightweight.  You can purchase a car seat which will attach to the frame.  You can get a car set base for the car seat, avoiding all of the difficulties of trying to secure the seat with a seat belt (a must have item, I have been told by many parents). You can reverse the buggy so it can face in or out.  The buggy lies flat, so there is no need to buy a carrycot.  It is easy to maneuver.  And of course, there's the rather bright colour!

http://www.mothercare.com/Graco-Evo-Pushchair/LU0864,default,pd.html


So, we are happy!  Happy with our furniture.  Happy with our buggy and car seat.  Happy with everything we have bought so far.  And I'm left wondering; what have I been worrying about?

No comments:

Post a Comment